I agree with Grinity -- your son sounds much more than "regularly" gifted. No need to panic, but you should take some time to read some books on highly gifted kids. That will help you get a sense of roughly where your son lies on the gifted spectrum and will also expose you to the vocabulary surrounding giftedness and some of the educational options out there. To me and many of us here, this board has been invaluable in getting the "inside scoop" on what's out there.

There really are an endless variety of educational options based on your child's level of giftedness, his personality, your priorities for him, his school district, school personnel, and the size of your community. We've personally done early K admittance, skipping K, subject acceleration, grade acceleration, in-class enrichment, and occasional afterschooling for our kids. Nothing has been perfect, but we've chosen the least-worst options and have improved the situation and our kids are happy if not really challenged.

It sounds to me that you will have to do something to make school a better fit for your son if you decide to send him to school. Don't forget that homeschooling might be a great option.

Does your son go to preschool or have other group experiences with kids his age or older? That can be hugely telling about whether he will want to be in K for the social experience or whether being with kids learning the basics will drive him batty. How is his behavior, in general? A lot of early educators are particularly nervous about boys being the youngest in their grades because they assume they are less mature. Any information you can give the school in this regard that shows maturity might reassure them if you decide that you would like him in K early or would like to skip K.

For my DS7, btw, missing the K transition-to-full-time-school was a non-issue. He easily picked up the school skills he needed in a matter of a couple weeks.

I hope you keep posting and asking all the questions you have. The people here are great and experienced. Your son sounds amazing! So, welcome!

She thought she could, so she did.