Hi all
I'm new here. I'm so frustrated I could scream! I'm having a hell of a time with my 6 year old son. Not him personally, he's awesome...but his school!! They put him in freaking kindergarden when his listening comprehension is almost at a 4th grade level! He's bored out of his skull and ANGRY as am I.

It's a long story but my highly gifted son has severe ADHD and has trouble with reading and writing. So the damn school treats him like a defective package. I had switched from ANOTHER school and they were like "test him, test him, he has such problems!"

So I tested him.

His verbal IQ is 150. He scored two 19's. One for vocabulary and the other for abstract reasoning. His social awareness was in the 99.9th percentile. It's his damn processing speed that is slowing him down. It's in the 34th percentile so it lowered his overall IQ to a "mere" 126.

The first school told me "we won't meet with you until your son's on medication."

WTF?????

Like Adderall, etc is a magic pill that will turn your kid into a model child. In other words, a complacent docile child. Hellloooo??? They acted like they could give a crap about my son's intellect. They wouldn't even address it.

One teacher had the gall to ask me "So if your son is so smart, why can't he read?" His voice dripped with sarcasm. Good thing we were on the phone or I would have been tempted to slap the guy.

For the record I DID put my son on medicine, to help him FOCUS. He had NO behavioral issues in class. He's on Intuniv but it makes him tired...it helps though.

The second school (the one that put him in kindergarden) made me keep my child out of class for almost a MONTH before they let him back in. They needed to see where to place him they said.

These were private religious schools. I considered public school but the one in our area is very poorly run. The gifted schools where I live cater only to the RICH. If you're poor like me, your child is basically screwed.

My only hope is moving to a more gifted friendly state, going to another country that gives a damn about education or who knows, getting my kid into the Young Scholars Program...
AAAAARRRGGGGHHH