thank you so much! I wondered about that DRA score, too. We followed the book wizard thing and he came up between halfway through 5th grade and halfway through 7th. I feel so like, ha! HAH! I KNEW that kid was way above level for reading, too. It just didn't make sense.

And you've given me an idea of a plan, for her to do this math testing and send him to school with different books and maybe the singapore workbook, just to have something to do, with a cover letter about how her son is getting physically ill he's so upset about school. B/c they really literally have been having him sit. Some form of achievement testing to convince them he really does need not to sit there in the classroom, whether it's aleks or maybe someone cheap somewhere, would probably help my friend feel less like she's making it up...you know how schools can make a person full of self-doubt. It's hard when you're thinking all the time, "well, of COURSE I don't think he's some genius, it's just that, really, I could swear I see something in him the school just doesn't."

It's so hard.

And yes...as for our situation...yeah, isn't it kind of awful that ok is great? He's got the rumored best teacher in the school this year, and he reads a lot, and the teacher lets him do Singapore math if he gets a 95% on pretest, so that helps, too. And the skip let him get earlier into band, robotics, those kind of things, which also help. And he's been in the grade now for almost two years, so he's kind of settling in, learning the kids, getting along. Some things make us nervous, others are good...we're glad!