First, I have never had any trouble with physics, so I will look for the book Val.

Secondly, I still don't get what this is all about?

It is almost like parents of gifted kids want assurances that their talents will keep them safe or something. So what if your kids is the smartest kid in class, in the city, in the state? What then, what does it matter?

In these times of budget crunching, you are not going to get sympathy for gifted programs. We will be lucky if they don't get cut. I am paying for CTY accelerated math but I also know that accelerated math is not the be all and end all for my gifted kid to OK in this world.

It doesn't matter that her IQ is derived from her parent genes, or that she got a boost from the breast feeding or DHA tablets she gets or that we read to her.

It is well known that what she is born with is not the total story. The brain does a huge development from 5-9 and you can get big changes in IQ, though many on this board don't subscribe to the concept. And in teen years, there is another huge brain development. So how much is nature vs nurture when you combine these two periods?

I just know, as a parent, it is my responsibility to make sure she has all the options. She may choose to count birds in the Rocky mountains, be a vet, be a jazz pianist, be an astronaut. But I will make sure that whatever she wants she has the options and having an IQ in the HG+ range doesn't guarantee that.

My opinion is that the kid with 20 points lower IQ who has an amazing work ethic will have far more options than the kid with a 140 IQ that is directionless.

Ren