Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by MagnaSky
Grade skip did not solve this issue for us.

At the same time, I'd also bear in mind that it also takes time and maturity to learn how to focus on a problem when the answer isn't immediately obvious. It's probably a learned skill (at least in some or many people) and may not come magically because of acceleration. So, don't be surprised if a skip creates problems at first because the answers aren't immediately obvious anymore. The problems could actually be a sign that the student is finally at an appropriate level.

Sorry if this is getting OT?

These problems Val describes are exactly what dd encountered in her trial skip period. They are exactly why she and her dad and I want dd to continue in the higher grade. DD says, "I finally have to pay attention." But since its not perfect after the first month, the school isn't comfortable.

My goal is just one "normal" year where dd can be a more mainstreamed kid who is accelerated in math, rather than pulled out and accelerated in everything. We are finding that she is just not held accountable for her work and growth when everything is done in enrichment, pull out groups. Everyone coddles her and she is never going to learn the organizational skills required in life until she is faced with organizational challenges. I don't think that wanting those challenges for her makes me a "Chinese Mom," but I have now certainly been branded one.

Warning: sleep deprived