Hi there,

Does anyone have any books that they'd recommend on raising a child's self esteem. DS7 seems to have some issues that I am not successfully helping him overcome.

Example: At a Cub Scout den meeting, the boys were writing letters to Santa and the Den Leader suggested they open with a sentence saying that they had been good boys. My DS7 would not write that and asked me whether he'd been a good boy. I asked what he thought, and he said he didn't know, so I told him I thought he'd been very good. He wrote, "Mom says I've been a good boy." I asked why he didn't write just "I've been a good boy." and he said that it would have been a lie, and that it makes him cry to say he's a good boy because he doesn't think he is. Another example, if he makes a mistake, he'll hit himself and say he's horrible. If tell him that everyone makes mistakes, and that he's understandably upset but I don't think he's horrible, he'll insist that he is horrible. I'd like to avoid taking him to a counselor at such a young age, and would like to read up first. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!