I don't think I have been rude about it. I never said anything that implied that her teacher wasn't doing an excellent job. I let her know at the parent teacher conference how much I appreciate her and that I know how hard it is to give individual attention in a class of 20 kids. I have worked in ECE before so I honestly mean it when I say it is hard work. I told her that my daughter thinks her teacher is the nicest woman in the universe...which were her exact words. I have let her know how much my daughter enjoys all her art projects and playing in the different centers. I let her know that if she needs anything on my part to help with the process of testing and what not to just let me know. I have provided stuff for her class when she has asked and made goodie bags for all the kids. I chaperoned on a field trip and just made small talk with her about life. She always seems fine when I don't mention anything about the gifted thing. But the minute I ask very nicely if she has heard anything about the process I can tell she is putting me off and doesn't want to hear about it. But I really haven't pushed it too hard because I could tell early on that there was some resistance. I really do think she is a great teacher. My daughter's cousin also had her for Kindergarten and I've let her teacher know all the good things that we all talk about as family. I get the feeling that she may just be having a tough year. When all the teachers bring their kids out for Kindergarten pick up they are all usually smiling a lot except for her. I know she has some very challenging children in her class this year that require a lot of attention....maybe mine is just one too many.
I think my biggest focus right now is what I should bring up at the meeting and how to stand my ground if need be. I had thought about getting outside testing done to back up what the school may or may not find. Do you think that is a good idea? I have my hopes though that I will be worrying for nothing. I am hoping that she blew them away on this initial test and will be able to move to the next level in the process and do well with that. I have let them know that if my daughter is honestly not ready for a gifted program then I am okay with that. But that my main goal is to make sure she is staying challenged and is moved to the next level when necessary so that my daughter doesn't form the bad habits I did when I was her age....which have already started to show. When she writes, draws, or does work at home it is always at a much higher quality. The work she does at school comes home looking like she didn't even try...just scribbled or rushed through it. The difference between work and home is that I have learned her patterns and know when to move her own to something new...so she can do a very high level of work at home. But she will spend weeks at school on one concept and it is very clear that by the middle of that time she starts to not care anymore. As a parent I still encourage her to do her best on all assignments whether they are too easy or not, but it does make me feel like I am letting her down.
Do you think bringing a portfolio of her work from home would be a good thing for the meeting with the gifted teacher or would that be over doing it?