Wren, I have been thinking that same thing. The head of school at D's K-12 private sent out his weekly message yesterday, and he was bragging about how the school meets each kid where they are cognitively ready (giving the example of a pre-K kid who didn't want to nap, so was spending some time in the 5th grade science classroom). My D hooted at this description of her school, which allows almost NO acceleration (except for kids who come in from the outside, sometimes they get to be a level higher in math, but never for the "homegrown ones"). The head seemed to have found ONE exception, and drew a generalization that is just false.

And I was thinking that given online learning resources and virtual classrooms, why CAN'T every school do what Davidson does and meet each kid in each subject where they are ready to be? My D also vehemently confirmed the "waiting" description when we discussed it. Our head of school keeps talking about the educational model of the future. But somehow this is not part of his vision.