My son was recently tested for his school's gifted program. He scored pretty high from what I can tell but I feel like I've failed him as a parent. I don't think I've been challenging him appropriately and despite his scores, he doesn't seem like a typical gifted child. He's 10. He likes Bakugan and playing Wii and hates brushing his teeth. He will read if I make him, he will do some math if I make him and getting him to write a half way decent paragraph is impossible. I have been poking around here for days and googling gifted kid stuff but it just doesn't seem like my kid fits.

He attended gifted programs from kindergarten through 3rd grade. He was tested in kindergarten and even though we moved three times (husband is in the army) he was allowed to stay in the program. To be honest, I really didn't think he belonged in the program. I talked to the gifted teacher and she assured me that he was a good fit and he really was enjoying himself and keeping up with the other kids. When we moved from Republic of Korea to Kansas, the Kansas schools required new testing but they were hesitant to conduct it because of my son's classroom preformance. Although he had already been in gifted programs at other schools, that wasn't enough to show that he needed the extra challenge. BUT, they were curious to see how the heck he was in gifted programs but was preforming at or below grade level (4th grade) and decided to do the testing.

He went crazy with the tests!! He wrote an essay, scored 140 on the wisc-iv, told the tester that he enjoyed spending time with her but that learning subtraction facts was hard and would eventually kill him and so on. I don't understand why when he is tested he will do well but in the regular classroom he acts like he will surely die if he does anything but tear up pieces of paper and squirt glue inside his desk.

I don't even know where to begin. Someone help me. I'm not a gifted mom!!