My 6-year-old 1st grader qualified for gifted services, but I am mystified by her COGAT scores. I am thinking that I do not like group administered tests - or maybe they are just bad for my child.

She scored in the 71st percentile Verbal, 83rd Quant., 98th Non-verbal. Now, I am a psychologist- and if I saw those scores for a child, I would think something was going on - maybe a reading/language weakness- something. But, as a parent, I know that verbal abilities are my daughter's strength! She taught herself to read at age 3, could write paragraphs in Kindergarten, and now writes full essays and reads many grade levels ahead. This is a kid who likes to make up analogies during car rides.

I wonder what the heck she was doing during testing? I am reasonably certain that a 71 and 83 are well below what she should have scored. She isn't the most "attentive" child, I'll admit.

Anyone have an idea? I probably should request to see her full test battery. I know very little about the COGAT- it isn't something I use.