Dittos to most of what's been said. Exhale. Read. Research options. Don't panic. In short, you are in my shoes but you won't panic :-)

My first daughter skipped K - she falls 4 months after cut-off. The public school was willing to skip but we opted for an all gifted charter school. The next "kid" will be in the same boat as you because her birthday date is just after (instead just before) the "we'll consider" early entrance date. So we'll see.

I don't mind that we just skipped K all together... if early entrance doesn't pan out. Remember a test like a woodcock johnson that shows grade level ability combined w/her wsppi should do the trick. So schools will be more moved by that grade level thing...

and like someone mentioned... depending on Level of Giftedness - public school that only offers a pull-out enrichment might not be right anyway.

Kudos to another post. Get your older daughter tested. Statistically, I think, kids are usually within a few point of each other.

Read the Davidson's book, Genius Denied (I should get paid as often as I plug that). It is a good start. Public schools and pre-schools are SO worried about socializing I think they forget they are in the business of educating. Our pre-school has not been helpful. Even after they've seen dd #1 skip from p-s to 1st grade they don't want to let dd #2 into a mixed pre-k/k class that she misses the cut-off for by 3 months. Am hoping assesment results given them a wake-up call. but some people don't get it. my friend once said, you can say your son scored the winning touch down or needs tutoring to play soccer but you can't say your kid is the tutor. we all know we can practice forever and we won't be micheal jordan.

Personally, I think sadly, the best advice I can give you as you start out... watch who you talk to. You are concerned and will want to talk about it to friends and neighbors. It can be a conversation stopped. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't talked to anyone not personally tied to GT and just claimed my kid was going to a religious school instead of a gifted one.... wow, Allie McBeal would say "bygones". Good luck. Love to know how the district address the few day miss of the early entrance... we are 19 days from the cut-off (for early entrance consideration). but we are going to make a play because I really want half-day if we go so early.