Grinity wrote
I enjoyed "The Giver" and "City of Ember" and the "Gregor" books which DS also did in 4th grade. Now, in 7th grade, they are studing "The Giver" and I'm curious to see if, in the end, he'll admit to learning anything from the experience, or enjoying the group discussion.

Same here. I actually do not mind him reading the book over, since it has been three years - a lifetime of experience when you are 12 years old, LOL.
But unfortuantely, the required reading for current LA class is little and far too between.
Ghost has also enjoyed tremendously The City of Ember books (there are three if I am correct). Like Lorel said about her DD, Ghost has been a mature, college level reader since a while ago, but that does not mean that he is ready for all the adult subjects. Funny, that you put The Giver and The Lord of The Flies in the same boat, Lorel. I would have thought that The Lord of the Flies is much more disturbing, but I have read it when I was about 15, and the Giver as an adult. It probably makes a huge difference:-)
Ghost still enjoyes all the books that are written for his age, enjoyes simpler books that he can read in one afternoon (Water Horse), and at the same time appreciates all the humor in the New Yorker :-) I am not in the hurry to push him towards much more complex books, all for that matter adult books, complex or not.
There are so many wonderful books around. I brought up The Lord of the Flies because I still remember the impact that book had on me. Disgusted, I loved it - it was something I have never experienced in literature before. So this book carries a lot of expectations in my case, but I will probably be in for a surprise, LOL.