My students are getting ready to participate in a Battle of the Books so I have found myself reading over this spring break. The first (the kids rated it high) was The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs. It was about a very curious child who, upon reading about the Seven Wonders of the World, is given a challenge by his father to find seven wonders in their own SMALL community in seven days. The prize is a trip to visit a relative via train. (Historical fiction)

My favorite was a very easy read, but I am imagining what I can do with it in a classroom. It is called Punished and is all about words. (Pun----ished isn't the title just because the kid is in trouble. There are many other word challenges in the short book.)

The Homework Machine is the last one that I have read this week. It is also an easy read, but has a very highly gifted male fifth grader and one very bright girl as two of the main characters. I think this would offer a great discussion starter for the kids.

It will be interesting to hear the kids comments about the last two when we return to school, but I am pretty sure that they will be excited about them. I know they were the ones that got me to continue with the first one. I just could not get into it to start with.