Originally Posted by La Texican
Yeah, but what should the schools do differently for everybody? �Would you refine the core standards or do you mean the inevitable contentious teacher here and there? �Or is there a psychology class teachers could take before earning a teachers degree that would make them be better with children? I agree, most parents are the best supporters of their own children.

It's the core standards, and the insistence of higher-ups that said standards are more important than the kids' happiness and psychological and academic well-being, that create the problem in the first place. Teachers make it worse (and I'd challenge you on the phrase "here and there"!) by buying into the notion that keeping all their students at the same point on the same path at the same time is the goal. Assembly-line education doesn't work perfectly for anyone, doesn't even work well for the majority in my opinion (I say this as a teacher), and certainly doesn't work for the vast majority of gifted and creative kids. I'm something of a heretic in my field and generally believe the whole system has to be completely overthrown, in favor of something that realizes it's better not just for the individuals concerned but for society as a whole if we allow kids to learn in their own way, at their own speed, and according to their own strengths and passions.