On the totally practical level - have you tried reading "the organized Student?
She describes an accordian-file alternative to binders, on page 90, that worked really well for my son in 7th and 8th grade. He did transition into regualar Binders.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ka...v=onepage&q=accordion%20&f=false

In a nutshell,when he transitioned into binders, there was this teriffic binder with a front section that had 2 accordian files in the front. He could keep "Homework to hand in" and "homework to do" from all the classes right up together in the front.

One some level I don't think he had the hand strength to deal with opening and closing the binder rings without creating a mess.

Does the school know about the belly aches and headaches? What I found was that a single diagnosis wasn't enough to get an IEP from our local public school while the grades were high, but when the 2nd diagnosis of anxiety was added, we got more sympathy and more accomidation. This isn't the time to have a stiff upper lip.

I love your idea to not 'get one your kid' about his homework. I would praise any hint of keeping track of anything or being aware of time in any way, or turning in even a single homework. I would consider homeschool or a alternative school that cares as much about learning concepts as they do about lockstep organization. I really don't mind a school asking my kid to be organized, but I think they have an obligation to privide some 'edutainment' at the same time, if not an actual intellectual challenge.

As far as keeping DS emotionally healthy, I think one-to-one time with you and anyother adults you can round up where it's 'special time' and he can take the lead and set the pace and agenda while the adult follows along can go a long way.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com