Originally Posted by sweetiepie
He is 100% bored because the work is too easy, he does the same thing with us when we are doing homework but since we moved desert to after homework is finished he rushes through it with no problems.

On the testing they pretended he was 6 and suspected he would fall within the into the high below average to low-mid average, they weren't expecting him to score so high but they wouldn't give a clue as to what the score meant except for 1. he's not struggling and 2. he's smart, both are great but neither explains the score or what it means.

I would say that he is more like 1000% bored - with appologies to the mathmatically inclined here. Can they move him into the 1st grade class immediately? If his verbal is in the 120s for a 6 year old and he will be turning 5 in the next month or two, I would wildly guess that his verbal abilities are in the mid to high 130s. Definitely Gifted. If he is a 'young 4' - within 3 months of his 4th birthday than I would say his verbal on a proper IQ test would be likely in Davidson Young Scholars Program level or quite close. In my vocabulary, that's Highly or Profoundly Gifted.

So I get that the school is nescessary for his physical, and that it's only a few years, but you now (in my opinion) have the job of providing for his intellectual side. As much as possible get the school to do what they can - time in the 1st grade classroom should help for now. And Afterschooling is a great suggestion. Mostly you have to get him a 'pass' out of the activities that he is 'hard to keep on topic' - at the tender age of 4 you can assume that if he won't do something academic, it's because it's not right for him to do. Parts of him are age 7, parts are age 4 and parts are even younger. The trick is to keep an open mind and view him through all the normal expectations for 7s, 4s and 2s. Not an easy feat, but, for example, if a 7 year old was placed in his classroom and didn't want to 'stay on topic' for the academics, you wouldn't blame the child, you'd look for ways to get him out of there during the academic portion of the day, or special duties that precluded circle time. You wouldn't even see the 7 year old as willful - only appropriate, right?

I'm so lucky that I'm not a professional and can pick IQ numbers randomly out of the air. I'm just a mom, and the numbers are just guesses...I only wrote them here bacause I'm betting that you have already made similar guesses in your head. No you aren't crazy.

Love and more Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com