I am cracking up over "threats, punishments, rewards don't work". D and I had an argument a few days ago (about an English paper that was supposed to be done and was not -- ironically!), and I was sooo mad at her. But I literally could not think of a threat or punishment that would work for her...

I certainly wish we had the NVLD diagnosis earlier. We just got it last year. D15 has developed a PASSION for biology this year now that she is taking the class. One of her middle school teachers, who I know to be a very good science teacher from older D's experience with him, also taught them a fair amount of Bio to her class in middle school. But he really did not seem to like D, and I think it is because of her organization issues related to the NVLD. He just couldn't stand that a kid who was clearly so smart was so disorganized, and he just figured it was an attitude problem. I feel now like she lost an opportunity to find that love of Bio a little earlier, because she had to put so much energy into the teacher relationship in that class that the subject content sort of got lost.

Last edited by intparent; 11/24/10 02:27 PM.