It seems I'm not alone grin. Thanks for all the replies.

Since there's no physiological reason for it, I believe the biggest factor is that what's going on in his head moves so fast that his hands can't keep up yet. However, I also feel that he's got to learn to overcome that - either by working on his handwriting or keyboarding. I don't have a problem with him typing his work (I actually would prefer it because it makes corrections much easier), but he hates to spend the time doing the typing games or anything that will improve the skill. We've allotted some time each day to handwriting/keyboarding practice, although I allow any substantial written work (whether handwritten or typed) to serve as that practice time. And still...so much grumbling. There have been occasions when he hasn't complained and will come down with this handwritten work that clearly reflects his effort; we make sure to comment on the fact that he did it w/out griping, made an effort for neatness, and that portion/subject is completed and he can move on. I wish that was more motivating for DS, but it's not.

It's exhausting, mainly because I just don't see the point - he'd be done in a third (or less) of the time he spent complaining, if he'd just suck it up and get it done. Perhaps I expect too much on that front?? While I'm enjoying how quickly we're able to move through his lessons while I'm writing/typing for him, I don't look forward to when he needs to start doing those things himself again - I foresee some looooooong days, LOL.