I think it is a chance for a couple lessons that might make a difference in the future. The first is a lesson in consequences, which she has now learned to her dismay. I wouldn't bring it up now, because she obviously is hurting right now, but the next time there is a similar situation, you might want to remind her of this event, and suggest that she might want to consider it as she makes her decision.

The second thing would be to talk to her about her fears and shyness and why she would not take the opportunity that was offered. I think drilling into that a little bit over the next few months might be helpful to her and maybe give her some insight into her choices. I know that I often didn't take these sorts of opportunities because I was afraid of failing, classic gifted stuff, and if that is what is going on it would be great to walk her through some of what is going on in her brain, or find a counselor/mentor who might also do this. I just think about a number of occasions where I didn't step up to the challenge because no one told me I could do it and do it well, and ended up regretting that decision. I know that started around the time I was 10 or so, and I really wish someone had helped me work through it.

Cat