Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Originally Posted by Cricket2
However, I do have to say that I found the sex ed in 7th grade to be wildly age inappropriate even for kids who weren't as young as dd. I wound up opting her out of part of it. She did watch the video of a birth, etc. but we skipped the contraception parts b/c they were discussing anal sex and how neither it nor oral sex were considered safe. I didn't need a kid of that age learning about things like that. I also didn't like the fact that they had a Christian anti-abortion group doing a presentation during the contraception piece. I wasn't sure how unbiased that would be.
I'd certainly have wanted to excuse my child from the Christian anti-abortionists! But re non-safety of anal and oral sex for 7th graders (12ish, right?), I have to say that I think leaving it any later than that would be unwise; AIUI (and this is anecdote, not data) the group most likely to have those kinds of sex in the belief that they're safe is young teen experimenters.

Mine had just turned 11 when this talk happened but, yes, I imagine that the majority of the kids were 12. Hopefully I am not burying my head in the sand, but I don't think dd is at the point yet where she is considering sexual experimentation and I'd rather have that talk with her myself than have her learn about it from a male health teacher in a co-ed setting, as they did at school.