Originally Posted by Grinity
What are 'A levels?'
After high school, is there a public system of education for college?
Are there tests after high school to help kids document their abilities for colleges?
At the high school level, what are the main choices?

Thanks in advance,
Grinity

I'm not BeamMeUp, but can help with a couple of questions. It's funny, because I was thinking of asking questions about the US education system (mainly MS and HS, as I am clueless about how it all works over here). Anyhow - I was born and lived in England until 13 years ago, so can give you a quick idea of a couple of things. Most kids at about age 14 choose what subjects they are going to focus on for the next few years - I know when I was in school, I had to choose 8 subjects, I'm not sure how it works now (I left school in 1979). I did Math, English Language, English Literature, Physics, Chemistry, French, Geography and Religious Edication (!). From age 14 - 16, I focused on those subjects, and at age 16, took exams in them, which are now called GCSE's. (back then they were 'O Levels). Also, these days, the coursework they do during the year counts towards the final grade, I believe (in my day, it was all in the final exam). After 16, you can then go on and take 'A' Levels (another 2 years work) - I think the norm is 3 or 4 subjects, but some do more. You basically choose some of the subjects that you have already done in the previous 2 years, and expand on them - obviously, most people choose whatever will help them best in whatever they want to do when they go to University. I have heard that 'A' Levels are the hardest exams you will ever take - but I didn't do them, so can't verify that smile
Hope this is helpful - I'm sure BeamMeUp will get back to you and let you know more about the current state of education in England ! smile