Katelyn's mom I agree with you that those identified as HG + would generally be globally gifted. To get the sort of test numbers you need to be to be identified in the HG+ category you'd need to do extremely well in most categories tested perhaps allowing for one weak area which from what I've read tends to be processing speed for HG+.

I'm guessing the MG are far more likely to have an area of particular strength backed up by being perhaps a bit above average across the board. Dottie or Aimie may be able to provide evidence one way or the other on this one.

Given statistically there must be far more MG than HG+ it makes sense that a school might argue that gifted kids excel in one or two areas because that is what they see most often. I certainly wasn't aware of the levels of giftedness until confronted with my DS's test results and the reading I needed to understand them, which thankfully included finding this board!

Dottie's approach seems perfect because it doesn't get the school offside but allows you to make the case that your child is different because they are globally gifted.

DeHe I would also love to see the article you mention. I'd say my DS is very verbal but not overtly mathy yet he loves science particularly engineering. As Mathboy suggests we've just started pointing out to him the importance of maths to the things he wants to build. Not sure using his dad's first year university engineering text was the way to do that but he seemed to be right into it!