Originally Posted by Austin
We know so little about fetal development and genetics.
Most twins don't make it - one takes over. I think the literature says only 15% make it.

it is really scary when you read that stuff, we had one low birth wieght bub and one barely in the normal range and I read a lot about developmental delay and both girls were quite delayed with all their weight and motor milestones. I had prepared myself for things like cerebral palsy (one twin got resussed twice in the first week of life) and then low and behold once they started talking we blitzed all academic milestones. It was quite hard for me to switch modes from thinking I would have to fight for them to keep up with their peers to realising their peers are indeed not the age matched peers but other children a little older.

there are only a few sets of twins in our whole school and one set definitely has developmental delay issues so we don't really have any twin peers at all. It seems hard enough to parent two gifted kids but there are added challenges when they are both in the same class and look very similar, have the same parents and yet need to be treated differently. Even having a parent-teacher interview is always me saying ....so lets talk about x and then the conversation always strays to involve both girls and I have to redirect it back to "lets just talk about x" but of course the teacher has done most tasks with both girls at the same time (she knows who is who but I think she struggles to remember which did what well or poorly each time when the results would have been very similar)