For us. the chatter did die down. E started a 2 year math acceleration last year and there were a lot of comments until after the winter holiday.

DD's age peer parents haven't said much about it. When they have asked, my response has been that E actually worked out of the 3rd grade math book in K at her old school and isn't it great that her new school isn't having her repeat material.

The 4th grade class dd went into for math last year was fantastic. If there was ever an issue, we never heard about it. It helped that E aced the first few pretests that were on her favorite math areas. There were four sibling pairs in the 2nd and 4th grade classrooms (one sister in 2nd and one in 4th). I don't know if this was deliberate on the school's part, but I think it helped set a tone of respect and camaraderie for the year that exceeded our expectations. I did confide in one of the "pairs" mom the summer before who was supportive. One of the other "pairs" has a mom who teaches 5th at the same school, so I figured she already knew and had mentioned it to her kids. My husband and I praised the inclusiveness of the older students to as many of their parents, teachers and principal that we could. Whenever anyone told us how "amazing" it was that E was moved up in math, we tried to rephrase their statement; the older girls were so inclusive and supportive. By the middle/end of the year several parents of the older students actually told me that having dd in the class was wonderful because it inspired their children to work harder in math because they could tell E had to work hard to be there.

This year E is with several of the same students in 5th grade math. Its going great. Actually, the teacher seems surprised about how well dd has been included and contributes to the class.

Now I do know that there have been parent complaints and hostile comment from students from the grade in between dd's age grade and math grade. These have mostly been from parents who I think hothouse their kids. I have had to remind myself that these comments don't actually affect dd (or at least not as much) but they are hurtful to me. I did drastically cut back on my school volunteering because I couldn't bear to hear them one more time. At this point, people either like and respect dd, or they stay away.

I do think the two year skip helps keep the pushy parents at bay. I haven't heard of any other child at this school being subject accelerated in elementary school. This is a private school with no GT, but some enrichment pullouts for math and language arts. DD's enthusiasm in math and general happiness about school have paved the way for further acceleration for her in language arts this year. No parent "feedback" yet, but I am not at the school much now. I suspect being pregnant will deflect some of the nasty comments and gives folks other stuff to talk about.

I have had a handful of calls from parents asking for a referral for private testing which I have tried to be as reassuring and informative as possible. (How many referrals to the local neuripsych before we can get a free, going into middle school, let's catch up appointment?)

Warning: sleep deprived