I think you are on the right track. I can share our experience: ds7 was never content even in pk3. He also has adhd, so maybe it was the pace that drove him nuts. At 7, he's not going to sit in a desk and work quietly all day. At 3, that was certainly out of the question.

Anyway, I think we probably should have pushed for acceleration of some kind in pk4. Instead the school requested that we repeat pk4 a second time due to maturity issues. I now know that a lot of what was perceived as immaturity was actually boredom and inability to relate to same age peers. Imagine spending a second year doing the same thing with ZERO progress. He still has self esteem issues from having to stay back with the "babies".

I feel terrible for not being more sure of myself as a parent and allowing this to happen. I allowed him to underachieve for years, so now we are struggling with reversing underachievement.

I think it's important not to push your child excessively, but you can certainly find a happy medium. You want him to enjoy learning, but in my opinion in makes sense to request at least some acceleration if he's already telling you the work is "soooo easy." It's like pulling teeth to get my son to try something he can't master immediately. He's "addicted" to "easy". I would definitely caution against allowing him to become accustomed to easy work.

I think it's great that he is learning other things in the classroom, but why not learn it all if you're capable? You'll be able to gauge what is too easy and what is too hard. It sounds as if he's able to communicate this fairly well. I would start now before you start seeing him become not-so-content. You can just do a little at a time. Start with math maybe, and then once he's used to doing more challenging math, throw in language arts, etc.

When a child becomes used to not being challenged, it's really hard to undo. I know if you are on this forum you probably already know most of this, but I thought I'd share my two cents. I definitely don't think it's ever too early to push for acceleration (at least subject acceleration) if it's appropriate. And it certainly sounds like it is in your case.

So glad you have a teacher you love and who would be willing to work with you!