Our DS6 (just turned) is in 1st grade. He is advanced in reading and math. He is enjoying school this year but says the work is soooo easy. He actually said he likes it being easy. I know he is ready for more. He is interested in parts of speech, spelling and grammar but his class is so far from any of these topics it will be months or next year before he is exposed. He brought home a math worksheet that was about finishing patterns and counting objects and I asked him how he liked the math. He looked puzzled and said, "is that math? I thought it was more like art," and he started laughing. We do EPGY at home about once a week and he is about to hit the 3.0 level.

My question is... do I push for more complex material at school even though he seems completely content with it being easy? My thoughts are- I don't think his contentedness will last forever. His teacher recognizes his ability and would probably be willing to work with him. I don't want him to become intellectually lazy, but at the same time don't want to push him into resentment.

Two last thoughts- he has an amazing teacher who has a unique teaching style and he is learning a LOT of other things about the world. I'm wondering if he is getting enough in the other areas that he is content when he has to do the easy stuff. And, after students finish their literacy work in the morning they can read a book or go to one of the activity centers in the classroom. I'm wondering if he likes the easy work so he can go and play with the Legos.

Do I lead him in the direction I think he's ready for, or let him indicate he's ready for more and then advocate for him?

I hope this made sense. Guidance and suggestions are appreciated!
Eleanor05