Originally Posted by elwood
By zero sum game I mean that at the end of a given period (2 yrs.) the students have been exposed to no more content than without the "gifted" program.

I'll bet you a dollar it's in a misguided attempt to keep the gifted kids occupied and not let them get ahead in any individual subject. For some educators the fact that some kids are going to be later bloomers and not qualify right away for whatever guideline that is currently being used is enough of a reason to hold all the gifted kids back.

I do think that the program is better than nothing, which is what our local public school offers. I think that for kids of lower LOG (levels of gifted) it's probably quite good. But the kids with higher LOG are going to be frustrated, and their special educational needs won't be met.

I guess instead of going in there to ask the Principle who dreamed up this crazy scheme, you might get farther trying to pin down exactly what your individual child's special educational needs are, and brainstorming how to get them met.

It's also a great idea to make sure you've documented that you brought (or tried to bring) your concerns to the teacher first.

But yes, I am curious - it's so deliciously tempting to want to be up in arms over this set up.
Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com