I have an 8 yr old boy in 3rd grade. (We also have a 13 yr old boy in a gifted program) The school for our 3rd grader rotates gifted topics each year or two. As such: 1st grade - Math, 2nd & 3rd grade: Science & Social Studies, 4th grade: History, etc.

My issue with this approach is that it is a zero-sum game. In first grade he was doing 3rd grade math. In 2nd grade the gifted program shifted to different topics so any accelerated math learning in 1st grade is nullified in year 2. Accelerated learning is offset by equally decelerated learning.

Our 13 yr old was in a different elementary school (both public) where they continued to build upon prior accelerated learning which made a lot more sense to me. Our 8 yr old's gifted teacher (1 for the entire elem school) also fails to see the logic in this approach.

I plan on taking this concern up the the principal of the school, but wanted to find out if there is some school of thought in the gifted community behind this approach. I don't see the logic, but perhaps others could enlighten me as to the benefits.

I appreciate any feedback.