I have an accelerated reader and it's not as easy as you think (we have math too so all around it's rough) but... for the reading... we get complaints that the kids read so slow that it's torturous (regardless of giving a child a bigger book, in class, they still do the grade level material for reading. Even if they get an advanced grade level reading text, it's still not on par for what is needed.) As others have mentioned, comprehension is way ahead and bigger books would provide a challenge, however, there are issues with content and age appropriate material. I used to read the books before DC did to see if it was okay... now that she is older, I can't keep up with the amount of books she reads. I often read many reviews on am@zon about a book and can kinda get an idea of the appropriateness. The other is issue is that many books are intense for an emotional giftie as well (so many stories have sad parts or high climax points that can be overwhelming). With time, these are better handled but when a child is so young but can read years ahead, there's a fine line between challenging enough, but age appropriate. Also, at school, they could only check out books that were set for their grade and those were always way below what was read at home. That was a great source of frustration for DC.