Ginger -

If the school won't test your daughter in a timely manner and there is any way you can swing it privately, I'd highly recommend taking her to a private psychologist who is experienced in testing kids with special needs and giftedness. The school said my son did not meet the requirements for school testing or services when I asked to have him screened (because he was only 1 year behind and not 2), so we had him tested privately. He was diagnosed with dysgraphia and placed in speech therapy, remedial special ed services for reading and writing at school, and in Occupational Therapy to master difficult tasks through a series of compensation skills.

Yesterday we had his IEP, and because of the intervention, he's gone from reading a year behind grade level to reading 3 years above grade level. His writing proficiency scores on his IQ test increased 22 points in 2 years' time. And he is performing at grade level in all academic areas. We are keeping the IEP in place as a cushion for his move next year into mid-school, but finding the right diagnosis was what put us on the track to finally getting the services and remediation he needed to succeed.

I feel for you; your post resonated with me, because this was the same kind of feedback I was getting when I first began this process with the schools two years ago: he's a bright kid, I can tell, but it just doesn't show in his work ... well, he scored in the normal range, but something is obviously going on that makes it difficult for him...

Listen to your instincts and keep pushing. It's worth it.