I thought I would update this thread on the progress made this school year:
We have been back in school for nearly a month & I met with dd11's teachers as well as her counselor & the speech therapist today. Bottom line is that she is not eligible for an IEP & that I will need to pursue a medical diagnosis (dysgraphia, dyslexia?) in order for her to have a 504 plan. The school is going to do a full language & an IQ evaluation. And, until we have a written plan her teachers agreed to limiting her homework time, allowing her to do her assignments on the computer, backing down from 20 to 15 spelling words, etc. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get her diagnosis/evaluations done & have the 504 plan put in place. I am going to the pediatrician's office tomorrow to get some paperwork to take to the school.

knute: Thanks for pointing me to the info about "stealth dyslexia". I shared it with the school counselor & she found it very informative (as did I).

Violet: I *so* agree with you about measuring progress based on strengths! Thanks for sharing your experience. Thankfully, my daughter has a team of understanding teachers this year.

Grinity: Thanks, as always, for your support. smile

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney