This is a bit long, but here goes:

My 11 yo daughter has just finished 5th grade & has had trouble with spelling since 2nd. I began to notice last year that her reading was not as fluent as my other 2 kids (8 & 13) & this year she has had increasing difficulty with higher order thinking skills (very hard to draw conclusions, etc., & put those thoughts on paper--to the point of tears). She has never been identified as having particular problems as she makes A's & B's with the occasional C & scores high on the FCAT (Florida Competency Assessment Test). She is also a very sweet child who the teachers always seem to fall in love with. I finally managed to get through to a school counselor at the end of this school year & they did an assessment of sorts. I was wondering if anyone could help me understand some of the results.

She was given parts of the NEPSY:

Language
Phonological Processing: Very low
Speeded Naming: Very low
Verbal Fluency: High

Visuospatial Processing
Arrows: Average

Visual-Motor Processing (Beery VMI)
Dev. Age: 11-2; Standard Score: 101; Skill Level: Avg

She was also evaluated by the school speech therapist (not sure what test was used--sounds somewhat like the PPVT from my daughter's description except she was given phrases instead of single words to id the pictures). Anyway, I was told her results were very "glitchy"; meaning that nothing particular was identified but there was something "off".

Lastly, she had the normal hearing/vision screening which were fine except for that she read all the letters backward (right-to-left).

The school psychologist wants to give her a verbal IQ test next year. She has been screened for gifted (SAGES Reasoning) but didn't pass. There is a question of her being gifted with a learning disability, which may have helped her to cope so well up until this point.

As of the beginning of next year, there will be some interventions in place (allow extra time for verbal responses, cue before calling on her, color coding/highlighting, chunking, repeat directions, etc.). After 4 weeks there will be another meeting to check on her progress. The problem is, how do you measure progress when she already makes good grades?

Thanks for any insight any of you might have.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney