I'm a bit late to this conversation. I agree with everyone about giving the teacher some time to get to know you and your kid. We found that the teachers picked up on our child's literacy level quickly but the same was not true for math.

The teacher never knew that my DD could do more in math because she never asked for more. DD is a quiet, teacher-pleaser type. She got perfect scores in math all the time and didn't make trouble. In first grade my DD started complaining at home that math was boring and stupid. I approached her teacher who dismissed our concerns and said that our DD was happy in class. We decided to have DD tested through our school district. When we showed the teacher DD's perfect math CoGat scores, she finally admitted that she had no idea how to differentiate in math. She said that she really saw her role as teaching literacy. To the teacher's credit, the teacher did make an effort to tap into other resources and learn how to differentiate for my kid.

This year I haven't said much to DS5's teacher. She knows that my other kids are in the gifted program. She already seems to be figuring out DS5 on her own. She told me that she gave DS a K-1 math screener to help her figure out what to do with him since he seemed beyond normal kindy math. (Yay!)