Wonderful replies, thank you.

They will do the NNAT at some point during the year, but I was really thinking of the sort of assessment of where the kids are put into small groups for reading (and possibly math?).

I think I will say something in later years. It seems much easier to say "last year Mrs Jones was doing xyz, I wonder if we can talk about what you might do?".

ETA: Colin'smum, you are me! Well, Colin is my DD, really. That kind of scares me, because I thought in a recent post of yours how advanced he was and how tricky it must be for you to make accommodation for him. And yet he was at the same point at the same age as my DD. But, I'm glad to know her shakiness on place value despite loving division isn't indicative of some learning issue. It's kind of been like that forever, though. Even when she could only count to four or five she could add and subtract within that limit, and the same for my younger DS. He can only count to three, but he can tell me how many I have if I take one or two away from the three or put them back.

There were some great suggestions in your thread too. Particularly the one to use that puzzlement and concern over what she doesn't quite grasp as the starting point for the conversation with the teacher. I was thinking of taking in the second grade singapore math book we're working through and plopping it down and saying "so...". But, then again, maybe not grin

Last edited by Tallulah; 09/04/10 09:43 AM.