Tank is empty: oh, yes. BTDT.

We have done well to hire an educational advocate (who handles both gifted and special needs). She doesn't get tired of it, because it's her job not to, and she has both expertise and connections with school and district personnel that we do not have in the family. She sometimes talks to the school on our behalf and shows them solutions that they wouldn't ever take from us.

This is a bill I pay gladly. When my advocacy tank is low or empty, I have backup, and I need it that way for my own sanity.

I think "the bunny or the gun" (LOL) depends on the individual teacher's personality and methods. Some teachers like frank talk about what they're getting and don't want to mess with the bunny. Some teachers want to make their own assessment and will ignore any attempt at frank talk. We've had both kinds.

FWIW, I think "Jimmy has a 504 plan and here's the rough guide" isn't guns blazing, I think it's solid information. I provide a one-page cheat sheet to teachers about my 2E kids. If they want to use it as kindling, that's their loss, but at least they have the information. It also helps them see that I understand the deficits (no denial here) as well as the assets.

The gifted talk regarding your DD is harder because every parent thinks etc. etc. and the teacher may or may not be in a position to appreciate the need right away. We are still figuring out how to get that one done gracefully.

DeeDee

p.s. Edited to add: I don't like to think of it as "going to the mat." Rather as "oh, here's a big problem we will solve together for the good of this child." Approaching the school staff with gratitude (even if it's hard at that moment) and positivity has always gotten us more allies in the longer run, which we have surely needed. Not wrestling, but persistence in community.

Last edited by DeeDee; 08/31/10 05:53 AM.