There are a lot of people like this in my life, especially amongst my husband's parents and my sister in laws who have non-GT children the same age as ours. The SILs love to comment about dumb things like Vampire shows on FB, but when I publish DS's novels, accomplishments, or even just "kid stuff" where he isn't GT (like artwork), there is never a single comment from that camp.

What I've decided is that there are people who still have lots of value in our lives, even if they have a competition issue (or whatever it is) when it comes to talking about the children's accomplishments. I can't cut everyone out just because they don't pat me on the back everytime I have something to share. I say what I'm going to say without worrying about their response, and try to put it out of my mind.

I come from a family where most of us cousins grew up gifted, and one cousin was probably the genius of the bunch. I grew up disliking my aunt and making fun of my cousin behind his back because we were so sick of hearing about him. I now realize that he had nothing to do with this, and she was just proud of her child (and more verbal about it than the other aunts), but my guess is that a lot of people feel that way listening to us, too! smile

It sounds to me like your friend is a true friend in many other ways, so I wouldn't give up on him yet.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2