I am not an education psychologist nor do I play one on TV. But I have recently spoken to one regarding my own 2e. Actually, with me it's more of a 3e as I am both dyslexic and ADD.

Anyway, here is the important part. The Dr. who did my testing in college told me that in my IQ range ADD is more or less a given and it is not something that can be helped with medication.

He told me that it is normal for someone such as myself to be caught up in my own thoughts and ideas to the point where paying attention in class is extremely difficult. Combine this with the fact that most teachers move at a pace that to me is painfully slow. If I had a dollar for every time I've thought to myself "please God no - I don't need an example," I'd be rich.

Now I'm not saying that your kid wouldn't benefit from medication as your mileage may vary. I can only share with you what an expert told me with regard to my self.

I personally wouldn't be too quick to put my kid on drugs like Adderall which is nothing but a name brand of amphetamine. Yep, that is right, it is "speed" plain and simple. I'm not saying it's never appropriate, just that ADHD is kind of normal for a high IQ kid and I wouldn't be too quick to put my kid on speed as an easy alternative to providing an appropriately challenging environment suited to your child's special needs.