I have been lurking around this forum for several months now, trying to figure out if my son sounds like any of your kids. He's now 22 months and my first child. Right from birth, people used to say "he's so bright! Look at his eyes. They're looking right at me!". Being a first-time mom, I didn't know what they were talking about. Now, after reading a ridiculous number of posts in this forum, I'm pretty sure he's, at the very least, of above-average intelligence. I won't go on with a list of his abilities and achievements, but he sounds a lot like many other kids talked about on this site.

What I really want to talk about is hyperlexia. Does anyone else have kids who have been diagnosed with this? I wonder if this might be something that my son may have, as he is now and has been for over a year, obsessed with numbers. He started with numbers and letters, but now all he really likes is numbers.

Does anyone have any experiences with kids who are facinated with numbers? It has been suggested to me that he has an 'unhealthy attachment' to them and I should take away all exposure to them for several weeks and force him to focus is excitement on something else. This sounds crazy to me, as he is learning a lot from our play with the numbers. Has anyone else encountered this sort of advice before and if so, what did you do with it?

Sorry if this is a little jumbled, but I have so much to say and so many questions and not very much time!

Thanks for whatever advice you may have for me!