Hello,

In a nutshell... after reading several posts about parent/child ADHD diagnoses I started wondering about myself (still wondering about DD). I did a bit of reading and came across this online screening test (Jasper/Goldberg Adult ADD).

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=974&cn=3

As I continued reading I started to notice that my DP has virtually all the signs of adult ADD. DP did this screening and ends up with a 90 (which is high on their scale). So, DP is making a doctors appointment, is a bit overwhelmed and is not seeing the positive side yet. We spent time talking about DP's school experience and it is completely inline with ADD (inattentive). In the end I feel that this 'discovery' will be extremely beneficial for DP and our entire family.

My questions are:

1. What do you think of this online screening test? Should we be taking the results seriously?

2. If you or your child have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, what were are the steps involved. My fear is that our family doctor is just going to prescribe meds without much thought or further evaluation.

3. How can I advocate for DP, esp. in terms of the medical system.

4. Can you point me in the direction of any valuable websites, articles, books? What resources have helped you the most?

Thanks so much. This has been a big surprise for our family, esp. since DP is not a bio relative of DD!

Annaliisa