Funny you should mention firefighters since tonight we went to a restaurant that was clearly having some difficulties with their detectors in the kitchen. DD has super sensitive ears. She jumped and starting shaking when the alarms went off; refusing to take her hands off her ears even when the alarm stopped. And of course when I convince her the alarms have stopped and she did take her hands down the damn things started up again. DH was quick to move us outside which calmed her down but we are in triple digit temps right now so it was not the most pleasant evening. :P While outside on the patio we saw a firetruck pull in which sparked DD's curiosity. It also reminded me how this kid does not forget a thing. Back in September of last year when she had a short stay in the social preschool; they invited the fire department over for a show and tell. DD remembered all of what the firefighters taught them and was sharing it with us tonight.

And I also agree with no5no5 about comprehension. My DD was barely 3 when we had the conversation about being safe. It wasn't a conversation I had planned on having but DD was really testing her boundaries one day in a store and out and out refused to stay with me. When I discussed the dangers of such actions she got it immediately and asked a ton of questions. She also doesn't wander off anymore and if she does go around the corner she is quick to come back. I really worried that my blow up about being safe could have tarnished her childhood and made her scared of strangers, but it hasn't. She is still friendly but cautious and really (for me) that is an important thing for her to have. But during the initial conversation about the dangers DD was very emotional yet she asked a ton of questions and then phrase the information in her own words to show me she got it.