I'm so glad to read all these success stories! My husband and I seem to be in the minority in that we weren't big advocates of skipping and pushed against it when the public school suggested it last year ('though that doesn't mean we're against it for others). DS would need at least two skips right off the bat, and even then would require further subject acceleration in multiple areas. I suspect that he's like a lot of kids here (especially the YS-level ones), and that 1 skip is rarely the complete answer. When we considered it, the teachers we talked with were not fond of the subject acceleration b/c it required them to match up with upper grade teachers in timing. We didn't pursue it much further when we discovered our homeschooling options.

That being said, we fully expect to re-integrate him back into school at some point before high school, and I'm really watching how you all pave the way. I'm one of those moms who doesn't really want to see her child graduate super early (he'd be 17 even without skipping), but I know we'll be there sooner or later.

Meanwhile, we're trying to slow the acceleration down with filling a lot of his school day with "elective" type studies (language, geography, etc.). bh14, we piece together our own curriculum, taking the best of everything while meeting the various grade levels that DS is at with each subject. We're with a charter who buys us most of our materials, and we utilize a lot of workshops and other classes.

Thank you so much to all of you for pushing your schools to recognize what needs to be done! I know how hard it is to fight with administration, and I really admire it!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2