Hi Ania,

We (charter middle school administration) are actually meeting Today with school district about the HS credit for work done in MS. Previously we've seen kids complete advanced math but have to go back to highest offered math class for freshmen (Pre-AP Algebra 2). It wasn't right. Now we're hoping to establish an assessment, so that kids who test 85% proficient can move on and/or get accreditation for online or MS-taught Alg 2 or further. Since our state requires 3 math courses for HS graduation, we're also asking for dual credit(MS/HS). Not that kids who are advanced in math won't continue to take enough classes, but in case they are trying to "condense" high school and graduate early. Anyway, we'll see how the meeting goes, but I'm sure there will be lots of followup (how do you assess GPA so as to not penalize them and take them out of the valedictorian running? Will credits be weighted honors or regular? There may be debate on acceptable online providers, figuring out how courses match up to state benchmarks/standards, appropriate assessments, proficiency definition, etc.)

I have been given mixed signals about freshman taking AP courses. The counselors at DS13's HS said NO, though I've heard the other HS in town has allowed it. DS clearly should have at least started in 10th grade English, but now that he's suffering through Honors 9th, I'm going to ask for AP next year (usually for jrs). The AP Eng teacher who has PG son herself said that AP courses are not necessarily geared toward highly gifted kids (they are methodical, do not allow "compacting", no thinking outside the box, etc.--I don't know enough about this and don't remember my own AP courses to assess this). I worry a little about asking for something and regretting it. Really what I want is college level. So at some point dual enrollment might be preferred...we'll have to see.
Maybe that's another question for you for school (dual enrollment--how they do it and when).

IF he skips Eng 10, he'll still need a total of 4 English credits to graduate HS, but there are limited offerings at the HS. How does he complete the last requirement (college class? online class? summer institute?). Another question for your meeting, state requirements for graduation and how your son can fulfill those with advanced level work.

You might start out asking about how to graduate in 3 years--develop a plan with the counselors to map out courses. Your son can still take another year, but spend the last one as an exchange student or dual enrollment or electives, or whatever.

Our HS changes offerings yr to yr, but you might ask about electives, languages offered, clubs/service organizations, sports, mentorships, college counseling.

Between my meeting with the district today and DS's IEP next week, I might have more comments on this.