Ana,

I had DS IQ tested only a week or so before school started, luckily got the results right away, went into school to sit down with principal. There wasn't enough time to schedule IEP (teachers weren't back at school yet, but principal was there). The diagnostician had called ahead either principal or head of gifted dept. When I arrived at principal's office I had papers in hand, but he didn't even ask to see them. He just made some kind of analogy like, "As I understand it, (DS) is far far beyond the other kids in K?" I said, "Yes" and that I wanted to place him in 1st. He said "Fine" told me the teacher he'd be assigned to, and that was that. Paperwork & IEP came about 3 months later. I was so impressed with the principal to do that (most need paperwork in place ahead of time, but this guy was great).

DS really flourished in 1st but started stagnating after a couple months, so at the semester when we had the IEP, he moved to the full time gifted class (they wanted to be sure his basic skills were in place before moving him). He's now in 2nd, but able to work on 4th grade math, 5th grade reading & spelling. Small class of 9 kids (grades K-2) and will move up to the older PEGS class next year.