We never intended staying in Montessori past K (at the latest). I really like Montessori for pre-school ages, but I don't necessarily think a little more structure is a bad thing for grades 1 and up.

The reason we're looking to transition her for pre-K instead of a little later is that the private schools here in the DC area (like so many other places) are so competitive that it seems to make sense to apply as early as possible.

A secondary factor is her Montessori school's location. We're fairly happy with the school, but a major drawback is that it is 25 miles away. I drive her in in the mornings and then have to wait for her until school is out (there is too much traffic in this area to attempt the drive back home). On days that there are evening activities, we're traveling 100 miles -- it's a little much. There are not many alternative Montessori options closer to us due to her November birthdate. We cannot apply for September entry (she needs to be 3), and they will only consider her application for November entry if they have any openings at that time.