Our DD6 went to preschool and JK before we decided to homeschool. Even though she wasn't learning anything academically, she did really enjoy being around other kids. With that said, now that we are homeschooling, I believe that she has a much better social opportunities with other homeschooled kids and also with older children and adults.

From my perspective as a parent, I have mixed feelings about preschool and kindergarten. It was good for her socially and it reinforced a lot that we were trying to help her with at home in terms of sharing, transitioning, etc. On the other hand a part of me wonders if it contributed to her perfectionism because nothing was challenging. Now she routinely refuses to do anything unless she already 'knows' it. Also, it set the bar really low. She doesn't seem to place much value on effort, but, she's only 6 after all. We've got time to work on that smile

There is lots of good advice in these posts about finding a good fit. We live in a small community and don't have those kind of options. If I lived somewhere else I may not have the same opinions.