Thank you both for the input and support. We have decided to forgo testing for now. The psychologist and the psychiatrist have both commented that this seems more behavioral than biological. We are going to continue the therapy to address her ADHD, anxiety and/or ODD, because it all seems so commingled.

Talking to the teacher today she actually said that dd is probably having a harder time in school this year because her GATE class isn't "as GATE" as it has been in the past. Another interesting thing that her teacher had to say is that in her class of 32 she has two kids with AS, two with OCD, and two with Bi-Polar (obviously lots of gifted kids have other stuff too - I never would have known it). I am sure with all these personalities and differences and dd's issues..well, she has her hands full. Interestingly enough, her teacher said that she and her best friend both behave better when the other is gone. Sigh.

The teacher is happy we are choosing to home school through the virtual academy - they are good about advancing grade levels in work where necessary. [Edited to add: I don't think grade-skipping is the key for dd, that would just be the same learning environment, and that is what really needs to change].

We have a good therapist who is excellent with dd. She actually explained the basis for cognitive behavioral therapy to dd because she thought she would understand it and it would help her. She doesn't normally do that with kids. I am glad she is really seeing and *getting* my daughter and is willing to work with her without getting caught up in age-appropriate or age-expected.

I had thought about having her take the EXPLORE test, but hadn't considered the ACT/SAT. And community college classes? Wow - I really wouldn't have thought about that. I know her writing probably isn't up to that yet, but actually, I wouldn't be surprised if she could handle the content in some of the classes. She is such a sponge smile.

DeeDee, yes insurance is an issue, for sure. I'd go to a dev. ped., but I think she is so grey in her behaviors, that I think at best we are going to come out with a "possibility" rather than a spot-on, conclusive diagnosis. At least we have a good therapist (so far). Thanks for the assurance about the growling. She has really tapered off since pointing out to her how inappropriate it is - and being very clear/consistent about it. I really, really just want her to grow out of it. And soon.

-- Sky

Last edited by skysunsea; 07/01/10 11:14 AM.