Originally Posted by skysunsea
Her teacher is genuinely concerned about her if she goes back to the school she is in. She is in the gifted class right now, but honestly, I have to say what they are doing is not what I would call gifted work.

I agree with the teacher that the current situation she is in is not healthy for your daughter. Perhaps a grade skip into a higher grade keeping the gifted class might make a lovely difference? As for the gifted work looking 'easy' to you, it's important to remember that there are 'levels of giftedness.' A class pitched to the top 3% may look as slow to you, and a class pitched to average would look to a kid who is just at the top 3%.

I would sign DD up for the SAT 1,(or ACT depending on where you live) right now. It's cheap compared to a full private evaluation, and might be your ticket into community college classes, which may be exactly the level she needs right now. Previously resistant school folks turn lovely shades of pale when you show them SAT scores the are in the same ballpark that the admins got as High School Juniors.

http://sat.collegeboard.com/register/sat-dates

You'll have to call and request a paper application, she is too young to register through the website.
It looks like October 9th is the next SAT, but maybe you could sign her up for a practice SAT that generates a grade this summer just to get it through everyone's head exactly where her readiness level is.

Is your daughter typing well yet? If not, I would hothouse the touch typing for all you've got. It makes a huge difference.

BTW - I have an 'ovestaffed only' too! LOL!

You do need some concrete numbers. I would suggest that since your daughter is making the regular gifted classroom stuff look 'easy' that you plan to travel to a tester who is very familiar with unusually gifted kids - I fear that a 'regualar gifted' tester would miss the signs of giftedness in your DD just like the classroom teachers - and then your concrete numbers melt like jello.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com