I've been curious about my sons music ability for a few years and wonder what it means giftedness wise. I also wonder and would like to hear if your kids have this, or similar music.... i don't know what to call it, music memory I guess? Here are a couple examples I can remember though there have been many.
I remember my DS watching the first Superman movie with DH and I one night when he was 3. He had never seen it before or had ever heard of Superman. He watched it all with us and really enjoyed it. The next morning when he woke, I said "Did you like bum pa dum bum...and I started singing what I thought was the superman theme..but I had a brain fart and was singing the Indiana Jones theme mistakenly. DS said " No mom it's ...bum pa dum..and he went on to sing the whole theme having never heard it other than the night before in the movie. I was amazed.
OK...so nowadays, (DS is 5 now) he like knows the background music in parts of movies and even TV episodes he has only seen once or twice. HE gets upset with me and says
"Hey mom, do you remember on Avatar episode, at this part..(and he has the names of the episodes memorized somehow but that's another story)..then he hums or budumpa's the background music from the episode at that point and then looks at me. I say
"um no I"m sorry but I don't remember that, I don't remember the episode names or the background songs, I don't really notice the background music on tv shows or movies." HE gets upset like WHAT? or course you know!
I Do watch his shows with him sometimes when I like them, but I just think it's wild that he does that. He often will sing background music from tv shows or movies he's seen and remember tunes he has only heard once.
Do your kids do this? Does anyone know what this ability is? Is it a math thing or...I don't know .let me know what you all think...or share similar stories.... smile

Last edited by Jenafur; 06/18/10 09:23 AM.