I am truly sorry to hear about your friend's lack of support regarding your gifted DD. People do react strangly sometimes to someone discussing even the possibility of your child being gifted. It's as if they automatically think you're judging them or their children as inferior. What this really states is that the person you're talking to has an inferiority complex and it's not you. However regardless it impacts you because then you're right...the relationship seems to change and you wind up looking arrogant, etc.

I've been there and it's sad. Frankly people wantd to label my daughter with Aspergers or SI...I got her tested 3 times and finally I've been vindicated. My daughter is gifted and that is that. I'm not going to hide it...I'm going to go ahead and talk about it...the good and the bad. Whoever chooses to judge me or my daughter has their own set of problems and it shouldn't be my problem. For me it has never been about "see look how smart my daughter is"...it's always been about knowing something was very unique about my daughter both intellectually and emotionally and frankly I need help managing it regardless of the fact that my husband and I have both been labeled gifted as children.

I hope your friend comes around...you were reaching out to her feeling safe in discussing your ideas and concerns and I'm sorry she didn't step up to the plate as your friend and advocate for you and affirm your feelings.

I wish you the best of luck!

Azuil