Hi,
I am a young adult female who hangs out on this board as a reader and posts just occasionally. I am also not gifted in the traditional sense as I have a very severe LD caused by pre/perinatal brain damage (associated with my premature birth). I have super extreme WAIS III subtest scatter (far greater than you have with a Full Scale IQ of around 105). I find that my IQ subtest scatter pretty much reflects my strengths and weaknesses and also explains why I always enjoyed and exceled in some school subjects and had difficulties and disliked others.

The way giftedness is conceptualized is as total ease of learning and thinking, as opposed to some nebulous innate intelligence factor. They don't want anyone in gifted classes who has to work too hard to keep up and compensate. That's why they require a very high Full Scale IQ score, ie. kids that don't have any true cognitive deficits.

Just curious, how old are you? Did you take the WISC or the WAIS?

To give you an idea of my WAIS III IQ scores:

Verbal Comprehension Index--145
Working Memory Index--109
Perceptual Organization Index--71 (but Matrix Reasoning was much higher than the other 2 subtests, which were abysmal)
Processing Speed--79

At the end of 11th grade on the SAT without extra time, I got Verbal 680, Math 670.

Last edited by asiral; 06/11/10 12:13 PM.